Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 00:18:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Brian Handy <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

On Sun, 22 Feb 1998, Nate Williams wrote:

> > >I think Jordan and Greg both have points they are correct about.  What
> > >about making a web page that the offender gets put on ... nothing
> > >incredibly horrible, just a rogues gallery (I broke current on 00/00/00
> > >with a commit to " ... ".  [Followed up with John Dyson as an example]
> >
> > People are confusing some issues here, and Terry pointed this out to me.
> > Chuck is wrong, because John in fact does *not* often break the tree. His
> > stuff makes it unstable and crash, but that's not the problem here.

I wasn't trying to complain about John, quite the opposite, I _really_
appreciate his work, and since it's so terribly touchy, I gladly accept
any possible excuse for his mistakes (which are often better than the
things I do correctly).  I am more trying to catch the guy who carelessly
sticks mistakes in the tree. and my suggestion was to position such folks
for some *mild* chiding.  I think that anything more would be too drastic
for a volunteer effort, but a little humorous gibe (gee, who's on the top
of the awshit list today?) wouldn't do any real harm.

John replied himself (surprising me not at all) saying he wouldn't mind,
wouldn't take such as too much ... he understood the direction I wanted to
go with it, I think.  I am going to drop it, tho, if Jordan's that strong
against it, I'm not crusading here.

> Exactly!  I'm not complaining about 'buggy/complex' software, but about
> stupid silly bugs.  Things not building, include files not working in a
> 'build world', stuff that compiles but could never even run, etc...
>
> Basicaly, simply Q&A stuff is what I'm complaining about, not highly
> complex fixes to bugs that don't show up in simply Q&A testing.
>

> Nate

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |