Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 09:54:54 -0400
From:      admin@mail.multinet.net (graydon hoare)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   network installation trouble

Howdy -- I'm attempting to run the ftp-passive install and getting a rather
serious error. The network interface is unable to establish a route out of
our LAN. I have attempted to run the install using an intel card I pilfered
from one of our working workstations, but there was an IRQ conflict so I
switched back to the card which FreeBSD can identify. I am behind a network
systems 6600 router which (I believe) is running ARP, so it should (correct
me if I'm wrong) be discovering the new soon-to-be-BSD machine during the
install, right?
Problem is, it's not, or someone is not discovering someone else. In the
debugging screen I get an "lnc1: initialization failed" error. I don't think
it's a faulty card, BSD probes it correctly and it worked on the previous
platform it was attached to.

Any suggestions from the collective brains out there?