Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 21:02:38 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

At 03:33 PM 4/10/97 -0700, Vincent Poy wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>	One of my friends is thinking about starting a FreeBSD based ISP
>with pops in several different locations.  What would be needed besides
>modems and the FreeBSD machine to provide slip/ppp services in addition to
>shell access?  I noticed that Whole Earth Network (http://www.wenet.net)
>seems to be using BSDI machines since when you call, it will just show the
>standard unix login prompt and you had to add -ppp to do ppp.  Is FreeBSD
>capable of acting as a terminal server?  Thanks for any advice anyone
>could offer.

If you are looking to have more than 24 lines or so, go with a dedicated
terminal server.  Have a look at something like the Livingston PortMaster
3.  (www.livingston.com).. Dont bother going with an analog system-- get a
PRI right from the start.  Users will want dialup 56K eventually, and if
you want to do that, you will need a totally digital solution on your end
in order to support it.. Also, this way, you can support a mix of dialup
analog and dialup ISDN right away....  Even if this is not the case, its
MUCH easier to administer a dedicated terminal server than a UNIX box with
serial cards.  Use the UNIX box for things like shell access, DNS, mail
httpd etc...

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mike@sentex.net)           * To do is to be  -- Nietzsche
Sentex Communications Corp,              * To be is to do  -- Sartre
Cambridge, Ontario                       * Do be do be do  -- Sinatra
(http://www.sentex.net/~mdtancsa)        *