Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 09:30:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the crashes already mentioned.

Cy> It sure sounds like memory.  I can we assume you tried completely
Cy> different memory chips?  Even then that's no guarantee.  Also try
Cy> increasing the memory refresh rate.  I had a panic with FreeBSD
Cy> 2.0.5 was solved by increasing the refresh rate.  If that doesn't
Cy> help try reducing the memory.  Some systems cannot refresh memory
Cy> fast enough to be stable under certain memory access patterns.

Cy> The quality of memory for PC's has always been scatological,
Cy> however now that most memory is non-parity, you don't even get
Cy> notified of single bit errors.  It may even be worth it to
Cy> purchase some ECC memory.  IIRC ECC uses the Reed-Solomon
Cy> algorithm (same as used by NASA for deep space probes), to detect
Cy> and correct memory errors, so the rate of detection and correction
Cy> of an error burst of 16 bits should should approach 99.99999%.

Well... the same machine had an 80 day uptime before the upgrade
(running 3.0-RELEASE).  We have also tried alternate motherboards.
Now... all this hardware is K6-2/400's --- it appears that substantial
amounts of new code playing with processor bits has been introduced
between 3.2 and 3.3

I also tried cutting the memory in half.  The system had been running
as configured for 80ish days w/o reboot.  It has 2x 128M in it, which
I reduced to 1x 128M... if anything, it crashed faster (although I
can't say this for sure).

The machine is running 100+ apaches that are ~88M virtual size.

It's happening every 5 minutes now, it seems.  sigh.

Dave.