Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:13:41 -0700
From:      John Michelini <johnmichelini@alum.calberkeley.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Handbook suggestions

Greetings,

During my process of reading the Handbook, I wrote some additions which
might be useful changes. Please let me know if these suggestions are not
formatted correctly according to the group's specifications.  I would be
glad to reformat or make additional changes.

John

Suggested text:

Section 15.2.1.2 Preparing the Kernel

As previously mentioned, ppp uses the tun device, and whichever kernel
you are using must have tun configured. The tun device is preconfigured
for the default GENERIC kernel that ships with FreeBSD.  However, if you
have installed a custom kernel or have a /sys directory, you must make
sure your kernel is configured for ppp.

To check, go to your kernel directory and examine your configuration
file (/sys/i386/conf or /sys/pc98/conf). It should have...

Suggested text:

2.2.1.7. Check the drive number scheme in your BIOS

If you have used your BIOS to renumber your disk drives (without
recabling them), read Section 10.2 to avoid confusion.

Suggested text:

6.2. The Superuser Account

The Superuser account, typically named root, comes preconfigured and
should only be used for special tasks such as system administration.

As the Superuser, the safeguards of your standard user account no longer
apply.  Misuse of this account for user tasks such as sending and
receiving mail, general exploration of the system, or programming may
result in spectacular disasters like accidentally destroying the system.
The Superuser should always double and triple-check commands before
issuing them.

After reading this chapter, create an standard user account for general
use; this applies to multiuser and single-user machines. Later in this
chapter, we discuss how to create additional accounts, and how to switch
between the user and the Superuser.