Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:27:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Robert Eckardt <roberte@mep.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        joed@telecom.ksu.edu (Joe Diehl)
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bochs (386 emulation)

> Has anyone been able to get bochs up and running under a FreeBSD system?

Yup.

> I've got the program compiled; however, I am unable to boot a floppy
> under bochs, and thus I'm unable to format the image file for the hard
> drive.
>
> I'm continuing to try differant ideas, but I'm starting to run out.  If
> anyone has bochs running, and has install notes, please pass them along.

I got it walking (I wouldn't call it "running" :-) on my 486DX2/66 under 2.1.5-R.
Since you got the program compiled (that was the hard part for me), you got
around this 'bx_hga_memory' stuff.

I just cat'd a bootable floppy with DOS6.22 to a file `Floppy-A',
dd'd a 46MB softdisk and use the following lines in .bochsrc (in the src-dir):

# My First Test
megs: 8
boot: c
diskc: file=./46M.dos, cyl=940, heads=6, spt=17
floppya: 1_44=Floppy-A
#floppyb: 1_44=../1.44_doom2
#vgaromimage: ../vgacbios961111
#romimage: ../cbios961112
#romimage: ../romimage2
#romimage: ../cbios961203
#vgaromimage: ../vgatbios

Then I started with `bochs -bootA'
I had to press return since DOS6.22 waits after the `Starting MS-DOS' message.

fdisk and format went fine. (Next is Win59 :-)

Robert

--
Robert Eckardt                \\ FreeBSD -- solutions for a large universe.(tm)
RobertE@MEP.Ruhr-Uni-Bochum.de \\       What do you want to boot tomorrow ?(tm)