Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 17:27:59 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        f-mobile <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: dell i5000e & apm

this was, on the fateful occasion around Aug 15 13:30 -0400,
sent by Kevin Oberman

> > Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 10:04:12 -0400
> > From: parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
> >
> > it has been long tome since i posted here...
> >
> > is there a soul here who knows if freebsd 4-stable on dell inspiron
> > 5000e can survive more than one "stand by/suspend" cycles, measured in
> > minutes, w/o hard reboots?
> >
> > last time i tried, when dell issued an bios-apm update, around may 6
> > 2001 w/ then current 4-stable version, the exercise was in futility.
>
> I'm very suspicious that this laptop has a bug in it's BIOS. My wife
> has one of these running Windows (not sure the flavor, but it came
> installed on the 5000e) and it has the same problem: the machine fails
> to resume from suspend quite often. Worse, you often have to pull the
> battery before you can get it to re-boot. So I'm not too sure that
> this is a FreeBSD issue.

i got windows me w/ mine; there definitely was a bug w/ apm before
the update as witnessed by linux users. question is if you
would still have the same problem after the bios update issued in may.

> You might check the Dell web-site for possible BIOS upgrades. (I need
> to remember to suggest that my wife do this, as well.)

i checked dell's site before writing, there has been only one apm
update that i could find...

http://support.us.dell.com/us/en/filelib/download/index.asp?fileid=R27593

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?