Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2005 20:18:39 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, rpvoland@spamcop.net
Subject:   Re: Xorg Mach64 DPMS:  invalid scan freq

--nextPart1464229.NQnKyPFCio

On Monday, 24. October 2005 04:54, Rick Voland wrote:
> I have Xorg working fine during normal use, but I get a warning message
> "Invalid scan freq" on the monitor as the video system approaches DPMS
> power down mode.  This problem has been mild and only occasional with
> recent versions of Xorg, but is very noticeable in the latest version
> (xorg-server-6.8.2_6).

If your monitor actually manages to display a message, it's pretty safe to=
=20
assume that whatever input it is getting that it does not like will not=20
actually harm it and it is in fact safe to ignore it.

> The system is fine during full power mode and during the initial
> blanking of the screen which starts after 10 minutes of no activity.
> The warnings occur after the simple screen blanking and before the
> actual DPMS power down.  In the past, the system successfully reached a
> DPMS lower power mode even after these warnings, but I am reluctant to
> test it now that the warnings are prolonged.

My guess is that either your monitor does not handle one of the three DPMS=
=20
power states correctly or that there is a bug in the mach64 driver or perha=
ps=20
there's even a hardware problem with the graphics adapter itself. Either wa=
y,=20
you can probably work around it by skipping the respective power state.

You can do this with the xset utility, if your window manager/desktop=20
environment does not bring its own facility to control the DPMS timeouts.

The usage is: xset dpms <timeout until standby> <timeout until suspend>=20
<timeout until off>

'off' is the mode with the least power consumption, the unit of the timeout=
 is=20
minutes. Specifying 0 will disable the respective mode. You can test which=
=20
mode triggers the warning on your monitor by testing each mode invidually a=
t=20
once:

xset dpms force <standby|suspend|off>

My personal guess is that it is 'standby' which your monitor does not like.

=2D-=20
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi@freebsd.org