Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 06:45:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newest Pentium bug (fatal)

> [ moved to -chat, for 'religious' reasons ]
>
> > BTW: it's not the people who talk to God you have to worry about, it's
> > the people who claim God talks to them, and that somehow ennobles their
> > position in any discussion.
>
> And what would you say if I said God talked to me, Terry?  Would you
> blow me off and claim I was stupid or silly?  I claim that people who
> area always right no matter what are much more obnoxious to talk to than
> people who 'hear from God'. :)

I would be skeptical unless you could repeat your performance in a
laboratory.  The people who say "...and then I'd still be skeptical"
are athiests, and have just as closed a mind as those who claim
existance based on faith.  Noth that I have anything against circular
reasonong, I just like to know who I'm talking to.

On the other hand, if God only told you soccer scores in Brazil one
week after the event, I'd remain skeptical, since your model is not
predictive.  8-).

If you weren't predictive, I might claim you were schitzophernic until
you became predictive... any factually based model is predictive.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.