Date:      Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   surprise: he finds FreeBSD is a better OS

from Byte Blabber Centre

http://www.byte.com/documents/s=1267/byt20010829s0001/0903_moshe.html

I found, with little surprise, that the FreeBSD system of "ports
collection," which lets you get updated precompiled binaries from the
standard FTP servers around the world in a secure way and have it
installed automatically, far outperforms the Red Hat update agent
(which on top of all things is subscription based and therefore costs
you money). When you work remotely, it is important that these updates
work flawlessly and don't leave your machine in an undefined or broken
state. The Red Hat update agent in a few occasions failed to resolve
dependencies correctly and only half-installed the necessary binaries
or sources. The FreeBSD system always correctly installed or denied to
install subsystems. Also, the "make world" compile-everything option in
FreeBSD comes in very handy when you download sources and then leave
the server up to itself for a few hours to recompile everything
freshly. I logged in the next day and found everything working
perfectly. I also advise you to turn on softupdates (for faster files
metadata operation, in some cases up to 2000% faster) and increase the
"maxusers" parameter.

ACS Datanet provided me with a 256-MB RAM, 30-GB disk, 900-MHz CPU box
for the FreeBSD server, and so the "maxusers" really makes things go
faster. Once everything was fixed and tuned, I found the FreeBSD to
often outshine the Linux servers. The more I use FreeBSD the more I
like it.