Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 08:52:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Sugianto Yonatha <6296071@student.unpar.ac.id>
Cc:        www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Web Mirror

On Sat, 2 May 1998, Sugianto Yonatha wrote:

> I'd like to mirror the FreeBSD web pages and translate it to the
> Indonesian version web pages. I need your permission to publish it. I will
> put it under www.id.FreeBSD.org. What do I need?

For general mirroring information, see
www.freebsd.org/mirror.html...um, actually, contrary to what the
page says, the rsync in the ports collection works so use that.
I'll have to fix that page...

For doing a translation, you want the web "source" files rather
than the processed ones that the mirroring method described above
gets you.  Are you familiar with cvsup?  You will want to use
that to get the web source tree.  The sup collection name is
simply www.

With the web source in hand, you will make an "id" subdirectory
in the main web directory for your translation.  See the
ja_JP.EUC directory (which should eventually be renamed do just
ja) for examples of how to do things. For "building" the web
pages, you will need the jade, iso8879, html, docbook, linuxdoc,
and sgmlformat ports from the textproc category.  (The sgmlformat
port depends on all the others so if you start with that, the
others should magically get installed...)

Once you have a translation worked out, then it can be checked
into the main cvs repository and mirrored around the world.

I'm sure you will have other questions along the way, so don't
hesitate to ask.  Subscribe to and use www@freebsd.org
mailinglist.

-john