Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 08:48:02 -0700
From:      "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@redcart.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need anti-exchange ammunition

Scaleability has been the issue in the past.  If you beat on M$, they will
eventually admit that a given Exchange server can only support about 50 users.
 You'll still need to head-end the server with a UNIX box to handle the
organization mail, unless you only have about 100 user accounts total to
manage.

If the mail clients handle MIME correctly, Exchange offers little to no
advantage over the usual SMTP/POP/IMAP combination.

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999 13:57:15 +1000, Sendmail channeled Stephen McKay saying:
> Greetings fellow defenders of right and good.  Well, I feel like I'm under
> siege, so I'm looking for fellow defenders. :-)
>
> A project here that we thought was just looking for a new mail system to
> replace CCMail (for the PC centric general users) has expanded beyond
> recognition and wants to take over everything.  One of their expectations
> is that we will toss out our existing FreeBSD/sendmail mail hub and put
> in M$ Exchange.  Eeek!
>
> So, I'm looking for as much anti exchange ammunition as I can find.  I'm
> interested, of course, in technical stuff, but even more interested in
> war stories of managers getting fired for breaking the mail system.  And
> it can't hurt to be directed to sites that describe how to build an
> exchange replacement from open source tools, just to scare them with.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen.
>
> Disclaimer:  Um, well, what sort of disclaimer can I put here?  I'm acting
> on my own, nobody put me up to it, this is not official policy, official
> policy is to stick your head in the sand, no oops, I can't say that, strike
> that bit, OK?

| Kenton A. Hoover                                  | shibumi@marchordie.org |
|  Private Citizen                                  |                        |
| San Francisco, California                         |                        |
| Dolores breezed along the surface of her life like a flat stone forever    |
| skipping along smooth water, rippling reality sporadically but oblivious   |
| to it consistently, until she finally lost momentum, sank, and due to an   |
| overdose of fluoride as a child which caused her to suffer from chronic    |
| apathy, doomed herself to lie forever on the floor of her life as useless  |
| as an appendix and as lonely as a five-hundred pound barbell in a          |
| steroid-free fitness center.                                               |
|               -- Winning sentence, 1990 Bulwer-Lytton bad fiction contest. |