Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:11:14 -0600
From:      Blaine Minazzi <bminazzi@denverweb.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Internet providers discouraging customers from unix

Jacob Suter wrote:

> My point (as the support personel of intrastar.net)...  morons shouldn't
> use unix...  If I have a user that calls and does something to the tune of
> "I GOT MY (unix type) CD TODAY - PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO EXPLOIT SOMETHING
> COOL!" I'm not going to be super-keen on telling this person what to
> do.Unix IMHO is for elite people, not for lowly lamer people (ie - the guy
> that barely knew enough to go to WAlmart and spend a lot of money on a
> packard bell)..
>
> JS

Most "lowly lamer people" as you put it have _no_ interest in Unix.
They just want the latest whiz bang machine, loaded with the latest
version of whatever microsquish decides to pass off as an operating
system.

Fortunatley, most of the people who are responsible for the exsistance
of freeBSD and Linux,  actually want to help people learn more, rather
than treat everyone who knows less than they do as morons.

We all get the "ASSHOLES DO VEX ME!" attitude from time to time.
That is when we know that we are in need af a vacation.

I find that most of the users I have that use some variation of unix,
are far more able to solve their own problems than other users.
I might have to spend a little more time at first, but they are usually
not anywhere near as hard to deal with as the people who cannot even
change directories, IF they even know what a directory is.

They may be begginers with Unix, but, I am quite sure that you were a
beginner once also.  I will even lay odds than you made some of the
exact same stupid mistakes as the rest of us.  I will also bet that
there were times that you recieved help from someone more astute than
yourself...    Why not pass it on?

Bkm