Date:      Tue, 05 Oct 1999 07:24:38 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the crashes already mentioned.

In message <14329.64871.579761.476450@trooper.velocet.net>, David Gilbert write
s:
> Well... the same machine had an 80 day uptime before the upgrade
> (running 3.0-RELEASE).  We have also tried alternate motherboards.
> Now... all this hardware is K6-2/400's --- it appears that substantial
> amounts of new code playing with processor bits has been introduced
> between 3.2 and 3.3

You may wish to try a different processor, not another K6.  Your
configuration may be exercising some undocumented or unknown deviation
from the Pentium family.

If you know what "playing with processor bits" code have been
introduced, you may want to try to remove them and build a new kernel or
cvsup to the date prior to when the "bits" were added to 3.2-STABLE.
This should give everyone a better understanding of which "bits" might
be the cause.

Sorry I cannot help more, as all six FreeBSD systems I or my team
manage have various incarnations of Pentium and run an entirely
different workload than you.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC