Date:      Tue, 09 Jun 1998 14:49:48 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: Irritating cpp feature

On Sunday, 7th June 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 11:07:07AM -0400, Gregory D Moncreaff wrote:
>> you can put anything you want in an #if 0/#endif block.
>> by definition, the preprocessor deletes such before the compiler
>> (which is the only thing that checks code syntax)
>> even sees it
>
>This is a common misconception.  Your statement is completely false.

Change "completely" to "currently" for maximum accuracy. ;-)

The K&R cpp was a simpler beast and those of us from the pre-ANSI days
were pretty pissed off with the damage done to the preprocessor by the
ANSI committee.  Well, at least I was.  Another guy was so moved by the
matter he gave a "You scumbags!" talk at an Australian UNIX Users' Group
conference.  Of course, nobody paid any attention, and the world has not
yet fallen into chaos and barbarism...

>Now, can we all cut this discussion at this point?  Thanks.

Ahh, but it's so much fun to poke the C Standards Committee in the eye. :-)

Stephen.