Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 12:03:30 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bb.cc.wa.us>, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@colossus.dyn.ml.org, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Public apology for my recent posting

On Mon, Jul 06, 1998 at 10:50:07AM -0700, Chris Coleman wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 1998, Donald Burr wrote:
>
> > This is a public apology regarding my recent posting to these lists.
> > Several people have made me aware that these people had spammed this
> > message to all e-mail addresses @freebsd.org.  I was not aware of this.
>
> Really?  Your posting was the first I had seen of Coyotepoint.  And I am
> subscribed to several lists,  Maybe I just missed it.
>
> Maybe I am missing your point, but are we boycotting them because they
> spammed the lists?  Doesn't seem right if that is the case.  Please
> elaborate a little, cause I want to put this in the next issue of the RQN.

They spammed all the accounts on freebsd.org.  Not the mailing lists,
just the personal accounts.

I originally thought I'd gotten it because they used some of my code...

Anyway, I don't think we should boycott them, but should just politely
inform them that this is not acceptable.  I (trusting person as I am)
don't think they meant harm with it - they asked for feedback on their
announcement, attempting to reach the group that would be likely to
have license disagreements etc (given that their high-end product is
based on FreeBSD).  None of us would have reacted negatively if they
had sent the message to committers@freebsd.org (which would reach most
of the same people) with the same 'does this announcement look OK to
you' question - I don't think we should react too harshly that they
made the possibly honest mistake of sending it to each address
instead.

Eivind.