Date:      Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:21:16 -0300
From:      Cedric Berger <cedric@wireless-networks.com>
To:        Shannon -jj Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPv6 in Java

I tried to do that with OpenBSD one year ago.
There was many problems. the two more important are:

1) OpenBSD/NetBSD and Linux uses a different
value for AF_INET6, and, the emulation layer was not doing
the syscall translation. FreeBSD may have the same problem.
 From a NetBSD PR from itojun:

	sys/compat/linux/linux_socket.c does not try to rewrite sa_family
	in sockaddr args to various syscalls that take sockaddr
	(connect, bind, sendto...).  therefore, when LINUX_AF_xx differs
	from AF_xx, linux emulation won't work.  {LINUX_,}AF_INET6 is
	an example.

2) JDK 1.4.0 on Linux try to read a file in /proc/sys/net/interface
or something like that (use truss, I don't remember) to decide if there
are IPv6-enabled interfaces on the host, and to decide whether or not
enabling IPv6 support. This is easy to cheat-around: just copy this
proc file from a linux system and put it under /emul/linux/proc...

Cedric