Date:      Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:42:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the crashes already mentioned.

Cy> In message <14329.64871.579761.476450@trooper.velocet.net>, David
Cy> Gilbert write s:
>> Well... the same machine had an 80 day uptime before the upgrade
>> (running 3.0-RELEASE).  We have also tried alternate motherboards.
>> Now... all this hardware is K6-2/400's --- it appears that
>> substantial amounts of new code playing with processor bits has
>> been introduced between 3.2 and 3.3

Cy> You may wish to try a different processor, not another K6.  Your
Cy> configuration may be exercising some undocumented or unknown
Cy> deviation from the Pentium family.

Cy> If you know what "playing with processor bits" code have been
Cy> introduced, you may want to try to remove them and build a new
Cy> kernel or cvsup to the date prior to when the "bits" were added to
Cy> 3.2-STABLE.  This should give everyone a better understanding of
Cy> which "bits" might be the cause.

Well... I've reverted to a 3.2-RELEASE kernel... which appears to be
more stable (more on that later).  I have a celery here... which I
might introduce, but I'd prefer to solve the problem :).  I'm
submitting a massive PR on this in a sec with lots o' tracebacks.

I'll have to dig through the cvs tree to see what date those changes
were done on --- but in general, I'm talking about the K6 "PVCC" (sp?)
stuff... where 3.3 kernels talk about this extra bit and 3.2 kernels
don't

Dave.