Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 14:45:13 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
Cc:        David Miller <dmiller@search.sparks.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server Farms?

* Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net> [000509 14:27] wrote:
> On Tue, 9 May 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> >Yup and yup, subscribe to the security mailing list and the CVS
> >mailing list, take special note of all changes done to RELENG_4
> >(-stable) when you see any special ones that you think may be
> >essential, then run your update.
>
> I am not sure whether this has been brought up before or not, but here
> it goes.  I am not at all familiar with how the CVS commit messsages are
> funneled to cvs-all@FreeBSD.org and admit that before I ask this.  Is it
> that would contain all cvs commits sans HEAD.  Most of the committs
> happen to HEAD, but a good many STABLE users subscribe to cvs-all
> watching and waiting for commits to whichever STABLE branch they are on.
> These MFCs are all they are interested in and sending them the full
> commit mailing list seems like a waste of bandwidth.  Those active
> developers on the HEAD branch and those who track -CURRENT can still
> subscribe to the full cvs-all list, but it would enable those who are
> only interested in commits to RELENG_2_2, RELENG_3 and RELENG_4 to
> conserve bandwidth and mail spool space.  Thoughts?  Caveats?

use procmail.

a non-HEAD commit email will look like this:

--
dillon      2000/05/09 10:41:25 PDT

  Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
    sys/kern             imgact_shell.c kern_exec.c
    sys/sys              imgact.h sysent.h
    sys/i386/linux       imgact_linux.c linux.h linux_sysvec.c
  Log:
      MFC i386/linux/imgact_linux.c 1.36 and friends - fix #! script exec
      under linux emulation to look for script binary in /compat/linux first.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.21.2.1  +2 -6      src/sys/kern/imgact_shell.c
  1.107.2.2 +38 -29    src/sys/kern/kern_exec.c
  1.22.2.1  +5 -2      src/sys/sys/imgact.h
  1.27.2.1  +2 -1      src/sys/sys/sysent.h
  1.35.2.1  +1 -3      src/sys/i386/linux/imgact_linux.c
  1.41.2.1  +3 -1      src/sys/i386/linux/linux.h
  1.55.2.1  +56 -3     src/sys/i386/linux/linux_sysvec.c
--

Notice the (Branch: RELENG_4).