Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 23:18:20 +1100
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@satech.net.au>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Four problems that really bug me with CURRENT

Because I cant be bothered typing too much, heres the paste from my
todo list (with annotations):

- Get experimental Plug'n'Play driver so I dont have to boot to
     DOS first to get my sound card activated.
	- where can I get this experimental PnP driver I've
		heard about ?
- Fix CPU speed detection
   - hard code the speed - defines ?
   - hard code the method - defines ?
   - Worked at 2.1R
		Since 2.1R about a quarter of all boots get wild
		CPU speeds reported for my P90... ~40MHz -> ~75MHz
		This then fills my message logs with heaps of
		calcru: negative time messages... the only solution
		is to keep rebooting until I get 90.20MHz reported.
		It seems to happen regardless of the "X Hz differs
		from default of Y Hz by more than 1%" messages that
		I get every now and then on boot.
- Fix PCI bus probing
	- The first time I boot FreeBSD it fails to detect my
		PCI bus and hence my NCR SCSI card and hence my
		SCSI HDDs.  On the second boot (which I have put
		into /etc/rc) it probes the PCI bus ALWAYS !
- Fix ATAPI cdrom driver
   - Didn't lock the machine at 2.1R
   - Used to find itself too... didn't
        have to make it STATIC.  Prolly
        wasn't a LKM then though.
@ Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au   @ Play: thyerm@satech.net.au
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973