Date:      Wed, 05 Apr 2000 15:58:19 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Micke Josefsson <mj@isy.liu.se>
To:        Michael Doyle <relyod@co-operation-ireland.ie>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for the masses?

On 04-Apr-00 Michael Doyle wrote:
> I suggested a magazine cover disk offering about a year ago.
> The Disk 1 from the current 4-disk set is now even more suitable
> than it was a year ago. (It has almost all the apps you need
> for a useful server - at least all the ones I use for my
> production servers.)

Does this infer copyright implications? Should we have to 'roll our own' cd or
is it OK to use disk1? It is on the web nowadays anyway.

> Like you, I'm an administrator - I use FreeBSD on some of my servers
> in work (I run the PC Network for a charity, and I have a mix of NT
> and FreeBSD servers. I don't do any NT advocacy :-)
>
> I think the problem is as much one of finding a magazine prepared
> to cary FreeBSD as anything else - the only magazines I have seen
> seem firmly limited to Linux if they bother mentioning a non Microsoft
> product at all.

Here they all seem to come from a central source: idg.se has half a dozen of
them. Perhaps they have separate staffs but I would not be surprised if the
general policies re open software etc are the same...

> I have got to the point where I have stopped buying the paper magazines
> unless they have a particularly good cover disk - the contents of all
> the ones on sale in Ireland are no more than extended advertisments.

A growing tendency here to lately:(

Michael Josefsson, MSEE
mj@isy.liu.se

This message was sent by XFMail