Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 16:16:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      David <yay@yaychat.com>
To:        Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: laptop recommendations

i like the dell inspiron 7500.

i have a problem with X locking up if i leave the computer unattended for
awhile.  i really have to baby it, typing 'sudo apm -z' prior to getting
up for a time, plus, i cannot be in an X session when i do it.

other than that, i really like the dell.  of course, i'm the sort that is
also comforted by the sense of physical security the 10 pounds of
hardware provides.

the 15.1" 1400x1100 screen is great.  very sharp.

uptimes vary from days to weeks depending on how carefull i am with BSD.

it makes a great development machine.

plug in two batteries and get 6:40 of time.

i had one of the ibm hard drives go bad on me, but the case i was carrying
it was lame.  now i carry it in a green backpack from seattle.

with 128 megs of ram and a piii650 mhz processor, i process a seti unit in
about 7-8 hours.