Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:32:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ivan Fetch <ifetch@cs.du.edu>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Difficulty with Dell DSA Raid Controller

Hello,
   i am hoping someone can shed some light on difficulties I am having
with a Dell DSA Raid controller: The system is a Dell PowerEdge XE5133-2
(dual Pentium 133 processors, 128 Mb RAM, Dell DSA raid controller with
three 4 Gb ultra SCSI hard drives, an NCR SCSI controller attached to a
CD-ROM and tape drive).  I would like to get FreeBSD 4.2-release installed
on this machine, so I used the EISA Configuration Utility to turn on
AHA154x emulation mode for the DSA controller.  FreeBSD picks up the AHA
controller now, but no drives show up as attached to this controller (the
NCR controller is picked up too and the CD-ROM and tape drive show up).  I
tried variations of `aha emulation for all devices' (seems like the most
likely to work), aha emulation for pas through devices only (also changing
the three drives to pass through in the DSA manager software), and AHA
emulation for all devices (while still leaving the three hard drives as
pass through drives).  Dell suggested connecting each drive to another
controller and formating the drive to get rid of the raid signatures, but
this sounsd like a stabb in the dark to me <???>.

   I am very interested how this controller works under FreeBSD, whether
you can still use raid configurations under AHA154x emulation (Dell says
no but I've found evidence on the web - FreeBSD - which says yes), and why
does the AHA controller show up but no disks!?

I appreciate any help offered,
Ivan.