Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2001 05:17:00 +0200
From:      Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code density vs readability

--gKMricLos+KVdGMg

[ Cc's trimmed ]

On Tue, 02 Oct 2001 at 21:46:55 +0100, j mckitrick wrote:
>>> And I think vim does handle multiple buffers in console mode.  I
>>> haven't investigated it, when doing "serious" work I'm always
>>> running X and I just find it easier to open two xterms...
>>=20
>> vim does do multiple buffers. =20
>=20
> How?  Does it do split screens?  I once spent the better part of an
> hour trying to figure this out.  That either means poor documentation,
> or I didn't have the foggiest where to find it in all of those linked
> documentation menus.

<hat mode=3D"vim">

:h buffers
:h split

(at least under Vim 6.0, might be somewhere else under Vim 5.8)

Mini summary:

For multiple buffers, set `hidden', and just ":e" another file.  Use
":e" or ":buf" to switch buffers, ":ls" to list them.

For split screens, use ^Ws (or ":split", optionally with a filename) to
split the current window in two, ^Wn (or ":new") to split off a new
window, ^Wf (or ":split <cword>") to split a window on the filename
under the cursor, etc.

Since Vim 6.0 you can also split windows vertically.

</hat>

About vim's documentation, did you really struggle that hard?
Personally, i've found vim's online docs to be the most helpful and
complete of any program (commercial or not) i've ever used.

*stops before becoming too evangelical*

--=20
Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
Today's subliminal thought is: