Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:24:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mm Bsd <mmbsd1982@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with EFI / partitioning with FreeBSD ONLY mac mini ... from USB drive ...

=0AI booted the 8.2-RELEASE CD on my Intel mac mini, which has a thumb driv=
e plugged into USB.=0A=0AI promptly entered FIXIT and used dd to zero out t=
he ENTIRE internal hard drive.=A0 I may use it, I may not, but for now I wa=
nt to reduce variables and I don't want remnants of OSX on that disk trippi=
ng me up.=0A=0AI exited FIXIT and proceeded with a plain old install of Fre=
eBSD 8.2 onto the thumb drive, which was seen as da0.=A0 Upon rebooting, I =
see a folder icon with a question mark inside of it, blinking on the screen=
.=A0 The mac mini cannot see an OS to boot.=0A=0AI have tried to solve this=
 by:=0A=0A- same as above, but "plain old" loader instead of FreeBSD boot m=
anager.=A0 Both failed=0A=0A- During install, in FDISK, using the "T" optio=
n to change the type to 238=0A=0AStill failing.=A0 Any idea what the missin=
g part of this recipe is=0A ?=0A=0ANOTE:=A0 I see something of an answer he=
re:=0A=0Ahttp://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2011-September/=
027585.html=0A=0ABut I do not know how to "put a dummy MBR there even if us=
ing GPT layout" ... so if that is the answer, some additional details, plea=
se :)=0A=0AJust trying to boot FreeBSD, and only FreeBSD, off of the thumb =
drive plugged into a mac mini with no other disks.=A0 Any help appreciated.=
=0A