Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:48:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   better documentation

I seem to have touched a nerve after I had problems with upgrading my home
box ot 4.0.  The confusion was that I was relying heavily on my experience
with FreeBSD 3.x in the last year along with any documentation that I can
find on freebsd.org.  I also read other sites like daemonnews.org and
related bsd sites for anything that could help me learn more.

I, like many bsd admins, work alone.  I can only do my job as well as I
can find documentation to help me.  From my experience, the src/UPDATING
file has always been empty, but the makeworld.html page in the online
handbook has always been there.  It has also always worked in assisting me
in doing an upgrade.

What got me in trouble was the fact that I was not away that the UPDATING
file was actually updated with useful information for the 4.0 upgrade.
Actually, that is the only place that I now know has the proper
instructions for doing this upgrade, but it is too late.  I have to start
fresh with a clean install, but that is ok.  I am not installing a super
friendly system like MacOS here, this is Unix and requires some extra
care.

But what I would like to see on sites like freebsd.org and others is a
scope which may only go back about 1 year.  We are now at 4.0 STABLE and
there it is hard to find the exact info that I need on the freebsd
website.  If the freebsd homepage was updated perhaps once every 3 months
or with each major change to the OS we would all be better off.

It could be as simple as providing links to the new documentation or links
to README files.  The errata files are helpful, but not the easiest thing
to read for new users.

I want to see FreeBSD grow and become as popular as Linux because I feel
it is a better system.  Improving the documentation will help.

I am even willing to help in this effort given some support from the
people who would know what information is needed most.  I know most of the
necessary information is out there already, it is just a matter of finding
it.

I search at least 4 sites when looking for information: freebsd.org,
daemonnews.org, freebsdzine.org, and freebsddiary.org.  Sometimes I find
the info, but other times I have to find other sources.

It would be nice to have a central point where I can start and quickly
gather concise information about FreeBSD.  Does anyone have any
suggestions for making this happen, or perhaps a place where this already
exists?

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

fortune:
The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate
it.
		-- Franklin P. Jones