Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 22:22:32 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Bernie Doehner <bad@uhf.wireless.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Tom T. Thai" <tomthai@future.net>, "Yury V. Savin" <msav@kari.ru>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wavelan ISA Card???

> > How does the AT&T Wavelan stuff work?  The Xircom stuff has a 'base
> > station' that you stick on your ethernet segment that broadcasts data
> > to/from the machines with Xircom cards in them.  Is the WaveLAN stuff at
> > all like that?
> >
> It's like an ethernet card. If you want connectivity to a backbone you
> install either a access point (mucho $$$), or a FreeBSD box with one
> Wavelan and one ethernet card and route between them.

How much is an access point?  (The $950 I mentioned earlier for the
NetWave setup was the access point, since it connected to our local
ethernet.)

Before I prattle on indefinitely, does anyone have a WWW site I could
head for that might have answers to these sorts of questions?  (Most
commercial sites are long on marketing and short on data.)

Nate