Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 1996 13:27:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        coredump@nervosa.com (invalid opcode)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please don't shoot me for asking this stupid question. (fwd)

> But what is the difference between sup and cvs? Is cvs used only to
> retain revision information? Or can it be used as a way to update the
> sources as sup does? Also, has anyone seen sup start totally retrieving a
> tree you already have. I ran it today off of sup.freebsd.org, and it
> started to redownload the entire gnu-current tree, the /usr/sup directory
> is intact, my standard-supfile is fine, and the last.current is dated
> februrary 3rd, why would it do this? Any help appreciated.

man cvs

man sup

CVS is a version control system.  It can also act as a client/server
for a remote repository.

SUP is a distribution/mirroring mechanism.

Typical usage:

	1)	use SUP to mirror a copy of the CVS source tree
		at intervals (usually under "cron").

	2)	use CVS to check out, diff, and path (update/merge)
		your source changes to the sources before submitting
		your changes.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---