Date:      Thu, 03 Aug 2000 21:28:30 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Mailer-Daemon@probity.mcc.ac.uk: Mail delivery failed: returning  message to sender]

j mckitrick wrote:

> > I started calling DD dangerously DUMB. I thought the people that had
> > created it had reached their Peter principal and the manufacturers had
> > done a dance around them. I really think the manufacturers had gone
> > clueless but that is what I had available to purchase.
>
> Or maybe it stands for Deep Doodoo.  I bought this machine a year ago, so
> does  that mean i have a better chance of having less problems if i need to
> format?

If you can boot now, you aren't having problems like I was. You only
need to eliminate the FreeBSD slice before you sell it. That is if you
want to make it easy for the person you sell it to. What I would do
then is clean the FreeBSD disk info off using sysinstall and then boot
from a Windows startup disk (Win98 if it is large HD) and "fdisk
/mbr". From that moment on it doesn't matter because anyone can
allocate the disk how ever they want. Adding the "mbr" isn't necessary
but it gets around the long wait while the bios is deciding that it
hasn't been formatted. All through the long wait, the uninitiated are
thinking you sold them junk. You might add a small DOS partition so
they can start out the easy way. If it boots, it obviously works :).

There was a thread on DD going on in -hackers or someplace. I followed
it a little bit. I made some comments because I had 4 year old
hardware that wouldn't tolerate it and was ignored. I quit following a
useless thread at that point. DD at this point my not be as bad as it
was at 2.2.8 when I first encountered the situation.

Kent

> jm
> --
> Jonathon McKitrick -- jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org
> Honk if you hate people too.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg