Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2011 19:17:22 -0600
From:      Alex Anagnos <woodshop2300@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Debugging virtualbox "bus error: 10" ?

I have VirtualBox OSE 3.2.12 and FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE.

This situation is rather unique.
The system setup uses "likewise" to provide Windows Domain auth/login, =
that is working fine.

My problem is then when i log in using a domain account and try to start =
VirtualBox (via command line: $VirtualBox).
All the output i get is=20
"Bus error: 10"
and for a small small fraction of a second the beginning of a GUI =
window..

If i log into the box with a local account (non domain), everything =
works just fine.

Both accounts are in the vboxusers group and the group rights are =
working correctly.

In my efforts to figure out why things don't work i've tried starting =
VirtualBox in gdb, only to find that the VirtualBox executable uses the =
set uid flag to get an euid of 0.
gdb strips that flag for security reasons, thus all i get is an euid =
error out of virtualbox, joy..

Doing a su to root and trying that way makes it fail to find X11 =
display.
But since this is probably something permissions wise, i'd hazard =
running a root would fix it anyway, not something that would help..

next up i tried tress, that didn't care about the set uid flag so i got =
some info out of it.
sadly there was nothing in there that looked erroneous that wasn't =
present in a tress from the working account..

Since VirtualBox i was giving a "Bus error: 10" i looked though the man =
pages and found the default action for "Bus error" is to make a core =
dump.
Looking through the entire harddrive i've failed to find any *.core =
files..
Looking back at the tress, i can see the VirtualBox is exiting with =
status 0, i guess that is why i don't get a core dump.

Trying other things i found that everything that does not use a GUI =
looks to be working..
I can start a VM using Headless, and vboxmanage works so long as i don't =
try to "startvm".

Since it is a buss error, and at least according to syslog that message =
came from the kernel.
All i can think of left to try is to enable KTRACE in my kernel and hope =
that will point me somewhere..
But i'm thinking it won't, since the GUI is not even starting all the =
way.
I'd hazard a guess that VirtualBox does not even begin to make use of =
vboxdrv until you actually start a VM, which works in headless..