Date:      Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:12:14 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@seattlefenix.net>
Cc:        Stephen Hilton <nospam@hiltonbsd.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

On Monday,  3 February 2003 at 15:34:22 -0800, Benjamin Krueger wrote:
> * Stephen Hilton (nospam@hiltonbsd.com) [030203 14:50]:
>> Does joining the project involve signing a full-disclosure
>> contract regarding all issues public and private?
>>
>> Think about this people...
>>
>> Would you join knowing that your "Permanent Record" was
>> to be displayed at the whim of a "public" request.
>>
>> How have we gotten to this point where "stirring the pot"
>> and sensationalist muck-raking is a common "sport".
>>
>> Are we looking for a "McCarthy" list of other names and
>> details about this situation, to broaden the scope of
>> the "investigation".
>>
>> Retain the right of a person to speak for themselves,
>> or remain silent if that is their wish.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Stephen Hilton
>> nospam@hiltonbsd.com
>
> I have held the notion, from the very first day of my experience
> with FreeBSD, that the Project belonged to everyone involved.
> Core, Committers, Developers, Testers, and Users alike.

"All project members are equal, only some are more equal than others".

Seriously, we need a hierarchy.  You can't expect casual users to have
as much say in the project as the people who live and sleep FreeBSD 24
hours a day.

> Many people are now objecting to the removal of a valuable
> contributor to the project. People who quietly participate in
> the background, without fuss. Their concern is not sport or
> muck-raking, but genuine concern for the well being of the
> project. To simply ask them to be quiet and trust that Core,
> like a wise parent, will know what's best is degrading at best,
> and an insult to them.

Core was elected to know what's best.  To suggest that people who
elected core didn't know what they were doing is insulting.

Greg