Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 20:46:14 +0000
From:      "John Grimes" <jegjr@pop.erols.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FAQ page 2.24

Greetings:

     I just recently installed FreeBSD 2.2.6 on the third hard drive
of my PC.   When the system booted it reported a "panic: cant mount
root" error.  I tried the recommended command in instruction 1 and it
did not work.  I posted this on  one of the FreeBSD newgroups and got
a sucessfuly reply.

	First: using 1:wd(2,a)kernel worked as opposed to 1:wd(2,a) /kernel
which is in the FAQ.

	Second: echo "1:wd(2,a)kernel" > /boot.config works as tested on my
machine.

	I don't know if changing this will affect earlier versions FreeBSD,
I don't have any earlier versions on which to test it with.  Anyway
keep up the good work it si appreciated.

									John