Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2000 00:04:58 +0100
From:      Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New version of the newbus draft

-On [20000226 16:00], Matthew N. Dodd (winter@jurai.net) wrote:
>Actually it came in with the Alpha port IIRC.  Check 3.4.

But it became widespread in 4.0, which is what I meant. =)

>"Newbus is the new bus..." sounds clunky, as does "abstraction layer
>architecture".  If a sentence costs you more than $1.50 then you're using
>too many 50c words.  :)

Ok, I reworded and restructured it a bit.  Please look it over.

>- Suggest using a bullet list for enumeration of multiple items. (p1s3)

Done.

>- The Alpha doesn't have 'nexus' (p3s1)

Does this mean that:

1) the IA-32 is the only platform to have a nexus, or
2) the Alpha is the only platform to not have a nexus?

>- A device is really the sum of its methods.  A device is a device; a bus
>  is a device with bus methods.  I'm not sure what you'd call a 'bridge'
>  in newbus terms. (p4s1)

I added some blurb about this, but I think I might need to
reword/restructure that paragraph in entirety.

>- 'map its resources' and the implications of the text following aren't
>  quite clear.  Resources are reserved and allocated (which isn't very
>  good either since we really want to reserve them, then activate them,
>  but that distinction is yet implemented in a coherent manner.)  In
>  addition it is implied that the behavior of resource methods is
>  -always- to call the parent when that isn't always the case.

Oh it doesn't?  I was under a different assumption based on my notes.

>  Explaining default methods and the goal of resource
>  allocation/reservation/foo would be a better focus for this paragraph
>  since you could demonstrate the action that each layer takes on
>  resource allocation/reservation/foo.  The existing example is a
>  pretty good start though.

Ok, but I fail to show/describe the default methods.  Hmm, need to dig
through some files to scoop up some examples.

>- Newbus doesn't really have anything to do with bus_space at this
>  point.  We wish they were more intimate but they are really
>  separate.  Same thing with bus_dma.

True, but it would merit to document them all in one pull.

>- Newbus doesn't 'allows for definitions of interface methods...'; thats
>  the entire ball of wax.  bus_if.m and device_if.m provide the basic
>  structure to implement a hierarchy of devices.  This functionality is
>  implicit.  A more top down approach that brings the method definitions
>  and rules of hierarchy and inheritance into focus early in the document
>  would be good.

Aha, I got it reversed then.

The definitions of those interfaces and their methods allows for newbus.
Is this correct or am I way off again?

Well, the method definitions is what I was describing in the text, but
where would I dig up the rules of the hierarchy and the inheritance?
Also, an example of what you would consider a more top down approach
would be welcome as well.

>Anyhow, you've got a good start.

Thanks.

Only by your comments/patience/help/explanation/etc can I do this. =)

So there is a new version up.  Be sure to check it.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best