Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 18:10:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone getting offlist spam via omnilinux.com?

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2001, at 11:13, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
>
> > Yes, I received the exact same message twice. But I do not believe it is
> > spam. The email was sent for two of my sites that I am an editor of. (And
> > from your example, it was sent for your website.) In the emails I received,
> > AbriaSoft simply wants me to review their software for an article at my
> > site. (I guess they want you to review it also and publish an article at
> > your site.)
> >
> > Yes, the emails may have been unsolicited, but they appear to be focused to
> > media sites that are basically related. As a journalist, I appreciate
> > receiving PR/media information (that is appropriately targeted).
>
> Interesting.  You don't consider it spam yet it was sent unsolicited....  I
> also received two copies, both to different addresses at
> freebsddiary.org.  I consider both instances to be spam.

The emails I received were quite appropriate for my sites:

    We noticed that you provide information on open source software, and
    we would appreciate it if you consider Merlin Server for a review
    and/or a listing on your site. If you would like to write a product
    review, please let us know and we can provide you with a copy of the
    software.

(I also receive emails from a lot of other PR agencies who also ask me to
review their software, schedule interviews, etc. so I can publish news
about them at my site.)

I see your website has a lot of tutorials on Unix-related software; I see
that your website has articles written by outside contributors. I assume
that no one contributes articles to you, unless you ask them first (?).

Everyone has different opinions of "spam". I removed you from the Cc --
because this email (if sent to you) would be unsolicited.

(On a related note: the emails sent to several of my addresses in regards
to the BSD website a couple weeks ago, I definitely consider as spam --
because it went to my private mailboxes. If had just been sent to my
contact address for my BSD sites, I would have thought differently.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/