Date:      21 Nov 2002 18:22:06 -0600
From:      Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot stuck at F1 after swapping drives

--=-NOtYYz0nWUf1w38bE0w2

I actually only have one partition and a swap partition, here are fdisk
and disklabel outputs, and it's an IDE drive. thanks!

ayn@aynlaptop:~>fdisk -s
/dev/ad0: 1836 cyl 255 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
   1:          63    29495277 0xa5 0x80

ayn@aynlaptop:~>disklabel /dev/ad0
# /dev/ad0:
type: unknown
disk: amnesiac
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 1836
sectors/unit: 29498112
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 29498112        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
1836*)

On Thu, 2002-11-21 at 17:36, David Schultz wrote:
    Thus spake Andrew Y Ng <ayn@AndrewNg.com>:
    > Hi all, I shutdown FreeBSD and changed my harddrive and
    > booted up Win2K this morning (needed Windoze for something
    > real quick). I put the FreeBSD harddrive back and it wouldn't
    > boot, it got stuck at the F1 boot0 prompt.  Like it couldn't
    > find the MBR or something. How do I get it to boot again?
   =20
    Make sure you've got boot0 on the primary master (assuming IDE) or
    da0 (SCSI) and on no other drives.  Booting from one boot manager
    on the BIOS boot disk to boot0 on another drive hasn't worked well
    in my experience.
   =20
    Also, make sure FreeBSD's idea of your drive geometry matches what
    the BIOS thinks.  Posting disklabel and 'fdisk -s' output might
    help.  (The fixit CD is your friend here.)
--=20

andrew y ng  <ayn@andrewng.com>  http://andrewng.com

fingerprint :
46a1 29ff 893a 0381 dc81  1e1e bed8 e882 9bfc 594c

--=-NOtYYz0nWUf1w38bE0w2

--=-NOtYYz0nWUf1w38bE0w2--