Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 01:40:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
To:        Allen Smith <easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbie 3 questions.

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998, Allen Smith wrote:

> Is async necessary/desirable for an MFS, or is it automatic? From the
> 4.4BSD book, I know that the 4.4BSD MFS is built just like a FFS, only
> using pageable memory space instead of filesystem space.

Sync and async refer to policies for when to commit certain writes to
disk.  MFS lives in RAM, except when it's paged out, and then it's the
pager algorithm that determines which pages get written to disk, not the
metadata update scheme.

So the question doesn't really make sense.

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."