Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 15:02:27 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A GUI administration tool for FreeBSD

At 07:22 PM 1/8/99 +0000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 05:23:59PM -0800, Brian W. Buchanan wrote:
>> I believe there already is a web-based admin thingy in the ports
>> collection under sysutils/webmin.
>
>Has anyone looked at SFI Director?
>
>It's at <URL:http://www.sfi.ch/english/sfi-d_open_source_e.html>; and
>might merit investigation.

Ooh looks intriguing... I only brought up web stuff because I am 30 miles
away from the unit.. it has no monitor, etc.  I find Xoftware to be rather
sloppy doing Desktop and app running, although it has a nice Web plugin to
access X resources via a regular browser.

I've seen Webmin.. I have mixed feelings really.. It's probably because it
looks like it may do some stuff behind the scenes that could throw my stuff
out of whack..  I don't necessarily do things RIGHT always, but I do it so
it WORKS.. Webmin would have been fine if I installed it when I put the
machine on. :-)

May just stick with editing the things by hand.. the machine is pretty much
mine aside from it running DNS and a few other servers.  But I'm open to
interesting ideas to try out. I will definitely look at this SFI Director
product.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D