Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:14:17 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Jesse W Scott <Mathemajikian@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Documentation Project

Jesse,

On Mon, Jul 10, 2000 at 08:35:37PM -0500, Jesse W Scott wrote:
> I am wanting to join and help out with the documentation project that
> seems to really need alittle more help. I would like to know what I need
> to fill out to join

We're not that formal.  You join by contributing :-)

> and what I can do to help.

We have a range of things in progress, and general tasks.

  1.  Read and update the existing documentation as necessary.  For example,
      if you discover that a man page, or a section in the Handbook no
      longer reflects the current state of FreeBSD then submit updates to
      the docs.

  2.  Volunteer to produce a conspectus for one of the lists, see
      http://www.FreeBSD.org/conspectus/ for more information.

  3.  Submit new documentation (articles, chapters or sections for the
      Handbook, Q&A for the FAQ. . .)

  4.  Read the -questions mailing list, and make sure that our FAQ is
      actually answering questions that are frequently asked.

  5.  Read through the various PRs in the doc category.  If some of them
      suggest changes but don't include any actual suggested text to change
      then try and write something that's better than what we have, and
      submit it back for a committer to commit.

  6.  Pick a Linux HOWTO.  Contact the original author and ask if they
      mind it being rewritten to be more generic, so that it can cover
      Linux and BSD.  If they say yes then do so, and submit it back to
      us as an article.