Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:38:19 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Jun-ichiro Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>, core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new config

On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 21:14:10 -0700
 Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> wrote:

So, to be quite honest, when I read the original post, I thought:

	"Wow... someone is finally going to do the right thing
	with autoconfiguration in FreeBSD."

..and when I read the reply, I literally laughed out loud.

But one thing caught my eye, that I just have to comment on:

 > If we do it right, there won't *be* a config file entry for USB.  I
 > can't imagine it getting much cleaner than that. 8)

"How about those spiffy new USB keyboards!  Sure would be nice to be
able to use it before any user processes have started!"

Before you ramble on about BIOS compatibility modes, I have two more
words for you:

	alpha port

Sure, new config might have some problems wrt. dynamic device configuration,
but the problems are fairly well understood, and with a little time and
effort, they could be fixed.

Anyhow, I was amused, so I had to comment...

Moffett Field, CA 94035                             Pager: +1 650 428 6939