Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 02:19:25 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rolf Grossmann <grossman@securitas.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble with Xircom CEM56 on 4.4-PRERELEASE

Hi all,

I've been trying to upgrade my Sharp notebook from 4.2-STABLE (I think it
was something closely after the release) to the lastest stable. Unfortunately,
now my Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 (CEM56) card is
not getting probed anymore. I've investigated and I found that while
pccardc dumpcis can read the CIS data just fine, the xe_probe function
apparently fails to do so. I've put in some prints there and I'm only
getting zeros (terminated by a 255 as it should be). Could someone
knowledgeable of pccard internals point me to something to look out
for? It looks to me like the pccard ioctl reading the CIS memory does
something completely different than the xe driver to get that data.
What am I missing? Is the notebook nonstandard/broken in some way?

Thanks for your help,
Rolf

PS: The card is still working with the old kernel (and 4.4-PRERELEASE
userland), but I guess a lot has changed between 4.2 and now :(