Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 15:13:58 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Jeff Tolley <jeff@comnetcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: named problem

Jeff Tolley wrote:

> I have been experiencing a problem with a nameserver on our network. Once
> every two days or so, when I go to do an nslookup I get:
>
> trinity# nslookup
> *** Can't find server name for address 209.100.247.201: Server failed
> *** Default servers are not available
>
> trinity# ps -aux | grep name
> root   73471  0.0  1.4  2040 1776  ??  Ss   Wed02PM   1:18.96
> /usr/sbin/named
>
> restarting (kill -9 PID / running named) will correct this problem (-HUP
> won't work). and it's good for a few days.
>
> I can't find anything in any logs (/var/log/messages, etc) nor do I see
> anything in named.run (debug level 1). Anybody have any ideas on what could
> be causing this?

	Problem A) You're using nslookup. Don't do that. Learn how to use dig
and host.
	Problem B) You are apparently slave'ing your reverse zone from the
nameservers that are authoritative for it. Your reverse zone is expiring
from your nameserver because there is some problem with your
master/slave relationship in that zone. Restarting it should keep that
zone in cache for 1 week because you have a local copy of the file.
After one week it expires, and you have this problem. Solving this
problem is more difficult. Any reason you need to slave your reverse
zone?

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"