Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 22:14:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Jun-ichiro Itoh <itojun@itojun.org>, core@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-jp@jp.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new config

... and for public consumption:

> So, to be quite honest, when I read the original post, I thought:
>
> 	"Wow... someone is finally going to do the right thing
> 	with autoconfiguration in FreeBSD."
>
> ...and when I read the reply, I literally laughed out loud.

I'll say it again, since you seem to have missed it:  I speak for
nobody other than myself.  I have no "official" affiliations in this
capacity, other than as someone that's attempting to contribute to a
solution.

> But one thing caught my eye, that I just have to comment on:
>
>  > If we do it right, there won't *be* a config file entry for USB.  I
>  > can't imagine it getting much cleaner than that. 8)
>
> "How about those spiffy new USB keyboards!  Sure would be nice to be
> able to use it before any user processes have started!"
>
> Before you ramble on about BIOS compatibility modes, I have two more
> words for you:
>
> 	alpha port

>From the technical perspective, I (at least) want a working solution.

This does not involve static configuration.  Oddly enough, most of the
major vendors and their development teams have a very similar set of
ideas.

You don't need static configuration to support USB keyboards, even
without working firmware support.  Nor to support most other hardware
(non-metadata-providing devices excepted).

You need to be able to deal with the metadata involved, and be able to
demand-load your support.  That's really kinda obvious, no?

> Sure, new config might have some problems wrt. dynamic device configuration,
> but the problems are fairly well understood, and with a little time and
> effort, they could be fixed.

So how about the legendary spirit of cooperation and mutual assistance?
You could share with Jun and his team your understanding of the
problems, and ultimately share in the benefits that might accrue from
their solving them.

This would be far more admirable than anything you've done lately.