Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 23:17:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some advice needed.

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> <stuff about getting a dedicated terminal server>
>
> >	Hmmm, the only problem I see with this is that the startup costs
> >would be a lot higher if he went with a Livingston Portsmaster or even a
> >Xylogics Annex-3 terminal server.  But the unix box will only be a
> >terminal server and also a router using a ET Serial card and probably will
> >have a telnet program just so people can use their shell account on
> >another box without using ppp.
>
> Price it all out... Remember, you will have to get a faster PC to handle
> all those connections on a serial card.  The initial cost of buying all
> those decent quality external modems, cables, serial cards and so on can
> really add up.  Also, there is the maintainence issue as well.  External
> modems can hang and must be monitored. Also, if users have problems
> connecting, its easier to track down on a PM3 since you get connect speeds
> etc in the log files...  You also have a lot of flexibility as to how to

	Hmmm, isn't there anyway to track down a external modem at all?  I
mean if there was a problem, I should be able to turn the modems speaker
on and just listen to see if the modems are in fact connecting or not or I
can just try dialing in using a modem myself.

> restrict your users.. eg.. only shell, only ppp, only email, only web and
> so on via user filters.... Also the cost of the telco lines.  Depending on
> your area, 1 PRI with installation costs and monthly fees etc, _can_ be
> less than buying 24 analog business lines. If you aim to grow, you will
> eventually want to move to a terminal server.. That means essentially
> eating the cost of the serial card, or selling it... Check to see how easy
> it is to sell these things used.  I dont know in your area, but in our
> region, a lot of our customers are asking about 56K modem support.  If you
> go the analog route, you will be going into a dead end because in order to
> support either of the 56K standards (X2 of 56K.Flex), you *MUST* be totally
> digital on your end of things.  Livingston, Cisco, Ascend, USR and now
> Multitech all offer PRI solution terminal servers (be careful of which
> Ascend you go with though)... My personal preference is the PM3 by
> Livingston.  Remember, think where you will be in 6 months.. If at that
> point you need more than 24 lines, you will be sorry you started with just
> a serial card...

	As for users, what I want to do is similar to what wenet.net does
with their setup which I don't know what it is.  All I know is that when
it connects, I get the Unix login prompt on the screen but it's the main
server at the NOC and not at the pop and then they can enter just the
login name for shell access or enter their login-ppp and get ppp.

	As for phone lines, what speed is a PRI exactly?  Since the
machine will most likely have a T1 or 56k line going there since there are
customers who need dedicated services so probably a T1.   For the terminal
servers, isn't Annex 3 any good anymore or do they cost a lot more than
the Livingston's and the others you have mentioned?

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]