Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2013 19:28:59 +0400
From:      Dmitry Sivachenko <trtrmitya@gmail.com>
To:        Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        python@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] lang/python becoming a python binary wrapper

On 16.09.2013, at 19:22, Marcus von Appen <mva@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On, Mon Sep 16, 2013, Dmitry Sivachenko wrote:
>=20
>> Hello,
>>=20
>> Imagine the following scenario:
>> I have both python2 and python3 installed.
>> I want python2 to be the default version (lang/python port installs
>> python -> python2.7, etc).
>>=20
>>=20
>> Then I want to build another port with python3 dependency.
>>=20
>> I put USE_PYTHON=3D3.3+ in port's Makefile, but it depends on =
lang/python which pulls python2.7 too.
>>=20
>> How can I build a python module with 3.X only dependency?
>=20
> Right now this can only be arranged with a hack in Mk/bsd.python.mk,
> line 581 and following. Those pull in lang/python, since many ports
> depend on bin/python, although they are only compatible with a =
specific
> python version.
> Solving this issue and making ports depend on lang/python2 OR
> lang/python3 OR a specific python version is on the agenda, but will
> take some time, since many ports, that python scripts, have to be =
checked.
>=20
> We happily invite everyone to check ports for those issues, report =
back
> to us or provide fixes to solve this faster ;-).
>=20
>=20

Before recent  switching to new python/python2/python3 scheme I =
installed many python modules/programs which use python3 with default =
version being 2.7 without any problem (just replace USE_PYTHON=3Dyes to =
USE_PYTHON=3D3.3+).

And it pulled only python3 as dependency.

Now I can't do that :(