Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2001 09:58:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good practice for /tmp

[ redirected 'cause it's probably OT ]

Scrive Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>:

> Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it> types:
> > > While it's certainly correct that the system runs better with swap -
> > > minimum of 256MB is recommended by tuning(7) - that doesn't mean it
> > > absolutely has to have any swap at all.

> > IIRC, some people complained about FreeBSD always using swap. I can
    ^^^^
    ^^^^

> now assume
> > there is no such "problem".
>
> This sounds like a FAQ. In particular, this one: <URL:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#MORE-SWAP

Actually, I said IIRC, **not** IRC. :-)

I recall reading (on some FreeBSD **mailing** list) messages about VM -- the
tendency to always swap, even in machines with a large amount of RAM.

The important point is that systems can not only be _configured_ to work
without any swap, but they can also be _used_ without any swap -- namely,
there seem to exist no related anomalies/bugs.

BTW, I have a junk^Wworkstation with 384 MB of RAM (soon to become a, er, dual
system, with 512+MB RAM); while my interest in the subject was theoretical,
er, it was NOT purely theoretical.

However, in such cases, IIUC the best choice is probably an amount of swap
sligthly larger then that of RAM.

Whether it applies to graphs or vector spaces, to projective geometry entities
or... processors, the concept of duality is all-pervasive nowadays. :-)

-- Salvo