Date:      Sun, 6 Apr 1997 10:12:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Intuitive Design Archive <archive@in-design.com>
To:        Ruslan Shevchenko <rssh@cki.ipri.kiev.ua>
Cc:        scott <scott@webnetix.com>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Webserver, htpasswd program.

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997, Ruslan Shevchenko wrote:

> scott wrote:
> >
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > When I installed the OS, Apache seemed to install fine.  However,
> > how I am putting a .htaccess file on a subtree of web data, and
> > I can't find the 'htpasswd' program to create a password file.
> >
> > Does anyone know what I should do?  Also, could anyone tell me how
> > to use the UNIX passwd file instead of the one created by htpasswd?
> >

> Yo can manually put /etc/passwd in you directory,
> with you file name (.htaccess)
> and it must work
>
> (On my mashine such think is work, but i got only
> first 2 fields from /etc/passwd (removing all others)

	That is one way to do it, the other more proper method is to get
apache from ftp.apache.org and compile it and the support tools.
htpasswd is one of those tools.  Along with other important tools.  You
might find them on your system somewhere, but no sure where the install
puts it.

						Intuitive Design Archive
						http://www.in-design.com
						archive@in-design.com