Date:      Sun, 05 Nov 2000 20:43:32 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WARNING: later VAIOs (eg: PCG-F690) with ATI chipsets == trouble

In message <200011060341.eA63fAF16462@mass.osd.bsdi.com> Mike Smith writes:
: > In message <200011060240.eA62eVF16279@mass.osd.bsdi.com> Mike Smith writes:
: > : We should be using the SMAP information.  However, I get the impression
: > : that if the CardBus bridge is working properly we can actually put the
: > : attribute ROM in PCI space, which is much better than rummaging for holes
: > : in the 640-1M range.
: >
: > Except for 16-bit cards that can't decode that many address lines
: > :-<.  They only do like 20 or 24 lines.
:
: Are you misreading me, or is there some way to put a CardBus bridge on a
: "16-bit card"?
:
: I'm talking about where you map the attribute memory in host space...

I may be misreading you.  It might be possible to do that if the
bridge does address translation for the card.  I think it might, but I
don't recall for sure.  There are some cards that need to access the
attribute memory to send network packets, but thankfully those are few
and far between.  There's certainly picture of doing this for the pcic
based chips in my pcmcia book, so it is very likely that it would work
with cardbus as well.

For most cardbus cards, they store their CIS in their ROM space (which
is different than the attribute memory area), which is likely why I
was confused.

Warner