Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 11:46:58 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make World Times

(Moved to -chat, for obvious reasons.)

As Amancio Hasty wrote:

> Same options as Olliver's make world.
>
> I get about 53:22 with my PPRO 200Mhz 48MB, Seagate Cheetah 4.3GB
> (wide version).

Hehehe.  I had to assemble a small machine for a customer serving as
an Ethernet router on Friday.  The customer gave us a VLB mainboard
that didn't even survive the installation without jamming.  So what,
an Ethernet router is nothing where high performance counts.  (In
particular, this one only has a single Ethernet interface, since it's
only responsible to collect routing protocol information, maintain its
routing table, and throw ICMP redirects all over the place upon
request.)  We dug out an old 386-sx/25 mainboard, and after playing
with a number of SIMMs had to realize that the only set of memory that
will work without parity errors in this board was the original 4 x 1MB
set.

So with a totally stripped down kernel (albeit i consider removing the
bloat for syscons, too, before it'll finally ship), i thought it might
be a good idea to also stress-test the machine in order to see whether
it is stable (which is highest priority for that box).  I've started a
global `make' (not `make world' to save some unnecessary parts of the
build process) by Friday night 2200.  This process is now running for
37 hours, and it ``already'' advanced to libg++.  Surprisingly enough,
interactive response is still pretty usable, considering its system
load and general CPU slowness.

:-)

(I guess a full rebuild will last for more than 100 hours, but i have
to abort the build process by Monday morning.)

--
cheers, J"org