Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 13:11:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        kris@airnet.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD cures RSI

In article <local.mail.freebsd-chat/37A9C9F9.FE5F7CDC@airnet.net> you write:

>> >       Because Sun shipped optical mice with their workstations very early
>> >       on, way before the others did ?
>>
>> and those optical mice sucked really bad.  you had to move them the right way
>> on the little silver grid, and in the sticky lab environment i used them at,
>> this meant pretty much holding the mouse from above and guiding it along on
>> each edge with my fingers, carefully clicking where needed ... AUGH!
>>
>> thanks for bringing back some nasty memories! :p
>
>Until recently a local university still had some old Sun equipment with
>the aforementioned optical mice. Took me a while to realise that the
>mouse cared which way it was facing. And some of those pads were missing
>lines in them. I think the favorite trick was to turn the pad 90
>degrees. Next person through assumed it had problems and left it
>alone....

At an old univ lab, some students got the semi-bright idea of trying
to reserve a sun during exam time by swiping the optical mousepad,
effectively rendering the mouse unuseable.

However, we discovered that the cotton weave lines on typical jeans
performed fairly nicely as a substitute.  :-)
--
Jonathan