Date:      Sun, 30 Sep 2001 13:45:32 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@lpt.ens.fr>, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

--On Saturday, September 29, 2001 22:03:58 -0700 Terry Lambert
<tlambert2@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Terry Lambert wrote:
>> > it's far more likely
>> > that as usual you stepped way out of your field of expertise and don't
>> > have a clue what you're talking about.
>>
>> Can we stop with the ad hominim attacks already?  They do not
>> make your arguments more persuasive.
>
> PS: I will happily listen to your alternative theories as to why
> there is continued ethnic and religious violence in India; I'm
> willing to admit that the scholarly sources from which I have
> derived my own opinions may be wrong, even if they agree in the
> great majority... they are, after all, predominantly English
> language sources (there's a dearth of Tamil, Devengari, and other
> Indic script writing on the subject on the Internet, or perhaps
> it's just badly indexed).

Predominantly the cause of all social tension is the state of the economy.
When all elements of society are doing well then there tends to be harmony
because nobody is interested in disrupting an environment in which most
people are benefitting. When the economy starts to decline then social
tensions come to the fore, because each social group is chasing after the
declining wealth that exists and in those circumstances it is easy for
fanaticism to whip up hatred of other social groups. Of course in many
societies there is also intrinsic economic division, where one element of
society is doing well while another element is suffering so the antagonisms
between the social groups can be prevalent even when the economy is doing
well.

The social conditions can be seen to be behind most of the conflicts in the
world, the fanaticism that arises is a symptom of these conditions and not
the root cause of the divisions.

Paul Richards